Corporation Bank Clerical English Paper
Objective English Bank PO Exams
Directions : In each of the following questions, out of the given alternatives,
choose the one which is closest in meaning to the italicized word in the sentence.
1. It goes against my grain to be running around the courts for justice.
2. Whatever opinion he gives is sane.
3. He is urbane in his manners.
4. The great dancer impressed the appreciative Crowd by his nimble movements.
5. The story began in an eerie situation.
6. The prisoner made an abortive attempt to escape from the jail.
7. War was not the only inevitable means to decide that dispute.
8. We must hot take his facetious remarks very seriously.
(d) Flippantly Humorous
9. He was ingenious enough to know how to get out of the clutches of law.
10. Hearing to the complaints of the villagers the father would come and box
his ears, and cuff him.
11. Vishal had got an indication from his friend about the changes in the export market.
(a) A feeling
(b) A hint
(c) A guess
(d) A signal
(e) An ultimatum
12. India’s attitude towards China has all along been pusillanimous.
13. A person unrestrained by the rules of morality or tradition is called a
14. The child merits serious attention at this age.
15. She looked gorgeous in her new dress.
16. He is deluding himself with false hopes.
17. The obstacles seem to be insurmountable, but no one should doubt what this
Fearless woman can accomplish.
(a) Too easy to achieve
(b) Too difficult to overcome
(c) Too tall and too high
(d) Too trivial to attract attention
18. The father advised his errant son not to maunder about but do something worthwhile.
19. No one will invite her to a tea for she is so garrulous.
(a) Repeats gossip
(b) Talks a lot
(c) Giggles all the time
(d) Laughs a lot
20. Slangs in a language are usually ephemeral in nature.
21. He has always been an elusive customer.
22. The man succumbed to his injuries the day following the day of accident.
(c) Fell down
23. They feel that we should be fully aware of our own environment.
24. The rebels returned home under an amnesty.
(a) General pardon
(b) Financial assistance
(c) Police security
(d) Judicial trial
25. He is just dabbling in politics to promote his business interests.