IAS Exams English Grammar Civil Services Test
English Solved Sample Paper UPSC IAS Exam
Directions : In each of the following questions, out of the given alternatives,
choose the one which is closest in meaning to the italicized word in the sentence.
1. The poem is written in a very lucid style.
2. The man lived in a dilapidated house made of mud and bricks.
3. The workers struck work asking for interim relief.
4. He has worn great admiration amongst his students because of his verdant outlook.
5. Wisdom seems to have got lost in a welter of knowledge.
6. He was a vulpine person and so avoided by his neighbours.
7. A reliable friend -is the gift of God.
8. The tinned food that we bought in the way was all tained and spoiled.
9. My uncle was so chagrined that he avoided mentioning the incident.
10. The recent acts of vandalism in the country cannot be ignored.
11. Everyone in the bazaar turned to stare at the visitor and his preposterous dress.
12. Those who acquire quick money are impatient to flaunt their wealth and
(d) Show off
13. Parents should cultivate in their children the habit of helping others.
14. The Principals advice will prove salutary for the students.
15. His sententious reply impressed the visitor.
16. Scientific knowledge is an intoxicating draught, and it may be one in which
the human race is unable to sustain.
17. There has been considerable furore both within Parliament and without
about the proposed hike in tele-communication tariff.
18. Article 26 of the Constitution is, in fact, a corollary to Article 25.
19. The scheme failed for want of adequate funds.
20. The meeting was called to ruminate on recent events in the subcontinent.
21. On the stage of this world, the drama of life is transitory as well as traumatic.
22. The new government decided to rescind most of the decisions of its predecessor.
23. The slump in business made Ratanlal bankrupt.
24. The two brothers should not vie with each other but work in co-operation.
25. The ship was caught in the tempest and all but the captain were drowned.
(a) Bad weather
(b) Violent storm