Not updating pages

We have moved on .So not posting new material. Material on site will be kept for you.Hope we helped!!!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Online Free English Solved Paper


Online Free English Solved Paper

English Sample Question Paper

Directions : In each question below are given twosentences numbered I and. II. In these sentences, two homonyms are given in italics type, which may be either

miss-spelt or inappropriate in the context of the sentences. Read both the sentences

carefully and decide on their correctness on the basis of the italicized words.

Give answer

(a) If only sentence I is correct

(b) If only sentence II is correct

(c) If both the sentences I and II are correct

(d) If I as well as II are incorrect, but-both could be made correct by interchanging the

italicized words

(e) If neither I nor II is correct and the sentence could not be made correct by

interchanging the italicized words

1. I. Cannons are used in war.

II. The Geeta deals with high canons of morality and religion.

ANSWER: (c): [Cannon, military tank, Canon = rule of conduct]

2. I. A painter is an artist.

II. Raj Kapoor is a skilled artist.

ANSWER: (d): [Artist = a person skilled in fine arts, such as drawing, poetry etc.

Artiste = a person skilled in theatrical arts such as singing, dancing, acting]

3. I. It is on account of his extensive social service that people deify him everywhere.

II. We should not defy the authority of the Government.

ANSWER: (c): [Deity = to worship as God; Defy = to challenge]

4. I. You should talk to your boss in a reverent manner

II. Our reverent Principal is coming.

ANSWER: (e): The correct word in I is ‘reverent’ and that in II is ‘reverend’.

[Reverent = respectful; Reverend = respectable]

5. I. He was being laughed at for his antic gesture.

II. Antique articles are priced much these days.

ANSWER: (a): The correct word in ll should be ‘Antique’ [Antic = odd, Antique = old]

6. I. The tragic tale narrated by the old man affected all the children.

II. The humane attitude of the new manager affected a profound change

in labour relations.

ANSWER: (a) The correct word in II should be ‘effected’ [effect = result, affect = to influence]

7. I. A volcanic eruption engulfed the entire city.

II. Alexander’s eruption is a memorable event in Indian history.

ANSWER: (e): The correct word in I should be ‘eruption’ and that in II should be ‘irruption’

[Eruption = sudden outbreak, irruption =invasion]

8. I. He is wrap up in .pleasurable contemplation.

II. I listened to her song with rapt attention.

ANSWER: (c): [Wrap =lost in something, Rapt = enraptured]

9. I. Plane living and high thinking should be -our motto.

II. Men in the plains are generally less hardy then the hill men.

ANSWER:(b): The correct word in I should be ‘Plain'.[Plain = clear, level; Plane = level surface]

E.g. Only one circle can be drawn through three points on the same plane.

10. I. Quinine is an efficacious physic for the cure of malaria.

 II. He is a man of strong physique.

ANSWER: (a): The correct word in II should be ‘physique’.

[Physic = medicine; Physique = bodily structure]

11. l. Mr. Khanna died in a railway collision.

II. Some gentlemen act in collusion with robbers.

ANSWER: (c): [Collision = violent clash; Collusion = secret agreement to act unlawfully]

12. I. His views are opposite to mine.

II. The speech was opposite to the occasion.

ANSWER: The correct word in II should be ‘apposite'. [Opposite p= contrary; Apposite = suitable]

13. I. He practices what he preaches.

II. The practices of closing shops on Sundays are quite common.

ANSWER: (d): [Practices a noun; Practices = verb of ‘practice ‘]

14. I. During the reign of Gupta rulers, India made tremendous advancements in

art and culture.

II. He has taken over the reins of the new government.

ANSWER: (e) : The correct word in I should be ‘reign’ and that in Il should be ‘rein’.

[Reign = rule; Rein = rigid control]

15. I. I loathe flattery.

II. He was loth to go with Rahul.

ANSWER: (c): [Loathe = dislike Loth/Loath = unwilling]

16. I. He did not accede to may request.

II. Don’t exceed the limits.

ANSWER: (b): The correct word in I should be ‘accede’

[Accede == agree; Exceed = surpass]

17. l. He broke my cycle carrier yesterday.

II. A slight carelessness on your part can spoil your career.

ANSWER: (b): The correct word in me should be ‘carrier’

[Carrier = that which carries, Career = progress through life]

18. I. Archean bought the expensive costume to complement her wardrobe for the beauty contest.

II. When James remarked that she looked gorgeous; Jane thanked him for the compliment.

ANSWER: (c): [Complement = that which completes, Compliment = greetings]

19. I. He waived his sword in the air.

II. I wave my claim in your favour.

ANSWER: (d): The correct word in I should be ‘waved’ and that in II should be ‘waive'.

[wave = brandish; waive = give up]

20. I. The white colour in our National Flag is a symbol of purity of thought.

II. The folk singers sang , to the accompaniment of the cymbal.

ANSWER: (a): The correct word in Il should be ‘cymbal’

[Symbol =sign; Cymbal = musical instrument]

21. I. Raju is an ingenious worker.

II. He made an ingenuous confession of his fault.

ANSWER: (c): [Ingenious = skilful, Ingenious = frank]

22. I. A vote of censor was passed against the President.

II. Before release, every Elm is sent to the censor office for recommendation.

ANSWER: (b): The correct word in I should be ‘censure’

[Censure = no-confidence; Censor = official who examines plays, films, books etc.]

23. I. His dismissal is a foregone conclusion.

II. I cannot forgo my claim.

ANSWER: (c) : [Forego = to' precede, Forgo = to give up]

24. I. There is a great affection between the two brothers.

II. Her modesty is mere affectation.

ANSWER: (c): [Affection = love; Affectation = pretence]

25. I. Sudden lightening and the rumble of thunder frightened the baby

II. Mercury lamps are used for lightning the roads.

ANSWER: The correct word in I should be lightning’ and that in II should be ‘lighting’

[Lightning = electric discharge from clouds

Lighting = providing light, Lightening = making less heavy]

No comments:

Post a Comment