Model Practice Paper English
Directions: In each of the following questions, out of the given alternatives, choose the
one which can replace the word printed in bold in the sentence without changing the
meaning of the sentence.
1. She is really a fantastic girl.
2. The old man was fond of giving homilies whenever we went to him with a problem.
3. The soldier displayed exceptional courage and saved the Major from the enemy’s hand.
4. If you want the quality of your writings, to improve then avoid redundant words
5. In order to tarnish the public image of his opponent, he has got a mendacious story
planted in the local newspaper.
6. A civilized Roman banquet was a thing of great richness, style and decorum.
7. He listened to her mellifluous music under the genial influence of wine.
8. The fishing boat pulled away from the wharf and chugged smoothly down the bay.
of its political masters
10. India has too often to fulminate against Pakistanis role in aiding and abetting
acts of militancy on her soil.
11. The accident occurred due to his lapse.
12. It was incumbent on him to report the matter at once.
13. Only my neighbor succoured me during my illness.
14. As they whispered, I felt awkward in their company.
15. He tried to cajole her, but it was in vain.
16. He was annoyed at his flippant remark.
17. The magazine was embellished with amusing articles.
18. Summit neglected to remit the fees in time and therefore had to pay a fine.
19. ‘To be or not to be’ was the dilemma of Hamlet.
20. War always has a baneful effect on the people of a nation.
21. His endeavors proved fruitful.
22. The boy was chided for his impertinence.
23. The problem is tedious to tackle.
24. The time is spent in the library was the most rewarding one.
ANSWER :( d)